As we move into the fall season there can an increase of slip and trip incidents for a number of reasons:
- Leaves fall onto walkways and become wet and slippery they also cover tripping hazards
- Cold weather causes frost and ice to form on walkways stairs
- Equipment access ladders and steps
There are steps that employers and workers can take to eliminate the potential hazards.
- Ensure footwear is in good shape with appropriate tread for the weather conditions.
- Keep walkways and stairs clear of leaves and other debris.
- Use De-icing material when there is the potential for freezing conditions. (note frost can form on dry surfaces when the morning dew freezes on contact with cold surfaces)
- Shorten your stride when conditions appear to be slippery.
- Always use three points of contact when accessing equipment.
- Use hand rails on stairs and ramps.