Monday, August 23, 2010

Time Trials and 50 laps at the Beach

The weather was terrible all the way to the front gate of Sauble Speedway. As soon as we pulled in the rain stopped and the sun tried to peek out from behind the clouds. We had a new procedure for qualifying at this race. Our series mandated transponders to allow official times to be documented. With the system up and running we did 2 laps of qualifying. One by one the drivers took to the track. Each trying to be faster than the car before them. We qualified second last based on points. Our first lap was nothing to write home about, 6th on the speed chart. My plan worked as the heat built up in the tires just enough. Lap 2 was great, the only car in the field to break the 16 second mark. 15.87 secs. We were 3 tenths faster than anyone else and on the pole position for the feature. With our inversion to set the field we lined up in 7th for the start. we wasted no time getting to the front, on lap 10 we set sail, but we had an anchor behind us. The 02 car was glued to my back bumper. This is the first 50 lap feature we have run in 3 years. I know I had the fastest car, but how fast is fast enough to last 50 laps on the tires and brakes. I drove smooth, Dave called a great race on the radios, and we saved the car for the end. Just in time for a caution with 4 laps to go. There went my 3 car length lead. Why make it easy. On the restart the track was very slippery from the oil from the 16 cars blown motor. I had a decent restart and pulled a little on second place. Another caution came out for contact. All I needed was another good start and no mistakes to take the win. We did and on the last corner I drifted a little high. The 02 drove to the inside and we went side by side across the line. I was ahead by half a car. It was a great night for our team. Thanks to the rowdy fans up in turn 4 for cheering so loud. Up next is Kawartha Speedway, we won there last year and hope to repeat.

No comments: